21 April 2012

and all my dreams, torn asunder

(I don't know if I like this new blogger interface. Bleh.)


Taken from the title of a sci-fi TV series from the 90s I like. A little geeky? Yeah.


So people can have a big laugh at me now, I suppose. Since this past Monday was my last day at the new job in Virginia. The one that was the answer to my "prayers" a month ago. The job that was supposed to fix everything. And it's gone now. I am jobless (or least without a design job) again for the time being - a familiar place.


There were several factors that contributed to me not being able to keep the job, but I think the major factor, again, was my lack of experience. My ex-boss said herself that they had taken a risk in hiring me, since the job listing called for someone with at least 2-3 years of experience. And I took a risk I suppose, entering into an industry I had no idea about, and entering into a solid professional workplace in general for the first time. Very technical, extremely detail-orientated work. Mistakes, even small ones were not good to make, as the time went on. And the added strain of "Oh my god I NEED to keep this job, what do I do" mentality made my small mistakes even harder. Takeshi is all about learning things at a workplace, no matter if it's a positive or negative experience - everthing is a learning experience. Things I guess I learned while I was there?


  • I learned about my own learning curve, how I work, at what pace feels best to me
  • I learned about the Microsoft Outlook - never had used it before!
  • I learned how to better organize larger amounts of data/info & how to manage my daily schedule better
  • I learned that I probably won't look for another design job in the "promotional product" industry - that I want a job that allows me to be more creative every day, and less technical (to some degree)

So, now I am on the search again. In a sense I feel a small amount of freedom. Since I've learned more about myself and my own personal desires in graphic design, I can now look to find a job in which I truly will enjoy doing. A job that I hopefully will want to have, not just because of the money, but because I have a genuine interest in it. The perimeters of my search are kind of same - A small town; somewhere that's more affordable to live in (rent-wise), location could be anywhere, but, we just can't afford to move too far away i.e. west coast U.S. and such.

Hub's also considering his career; assessing what he wants for his future in the culinary industry, where to go next from here.

Because our time in Frederick is coming to an end. Our new timeline is as such. Our year lease will be up in October of this year. Either we move when I find a guaranteed job somewhere else, or when that does not happen, whenever he finds another job. Other than that, nothing is certain and we're not sure. I've just started sending out resumes so we'll see.


2 comments:

Judith said...

Sorry to hear that your time in the design job is already up. But it's great that you sound positive about what's to come next. I hope both of you find what you are looking for soon!!!

ローラ said...

Thanks Judith! If I didn't think positive I wouldn't get anywhere lol, seriously. Keep your fingers crossed for us! ;)